6 Things I don't like about the Dr. Phil Show
I don't watch Dr. Phil that much, but when I do, I usually get annoyed by several things. Unfortunately, I watched the show tonight and it pissed me off. Let me make this simple and straight forward. Here are 6 things I don't like about the Dr. Phil Show:
- The way he treats his guests. If you watched any episode, you probably heard him telling one of the guests: "Are you nuts?" ... I'm not sure about you, but I don't find that appropriate. If I'm ever on the show, he better not say that to me!
- Arrogance. There are several examples for this one. Such as: "I've been doing this over 30 years!"
- No conclusions. No real help. In some episodes, before you even notice, the show is almost over, but we still didn't hear good consultation nor real advice. Just a little commonsense and an advertisement of some councilor on something, so why does he keep on saying: "This is going to be a changing day in your life" , well maybe it would have been, if you gave them real advice!
- Too many Ads. I know I know, this is common in all talk shows. I thought I'll point it out while I'm at it!
- Non relevant, or lets say, nonsense clapping. This isn't an entertainment show. This is a program where people with problems are seeking help. Some of the problems are serious and heart breaking, so why is the audience clapping?! Ha? This isn't Rachel Ray where they are getting free cookies! ;-)
- No matter what the case is or what the different opinions are. They have to show that Dr. Phil is right. I'm sorry to say, but that is not always the case.
Now please, don't get me wrong. I like the idea of the show and the issues it covers, weight loss, errant children, children diagnosed with autism, unhappy married couples, rebellious teenagers, mothers who dress far from their age, domestic abuse, etc. But in my opinion this is just not the way to do it. We can help people and still be nice to them. We can tell people they are screwing up without insulting them, we can sound intelligent and professional without bragging and showing off.
Updating: Jan 18 2008
I came across this article in my reader, I thought I should share it with you cuz its related to this post.
Oprah and the medical crankosphere
By PalMD from WhiteCoat Underground